Video: Parents of Sickened Girl Urge Others Not to Feed Children Raw Milk
Food Safety News
News Desk | February 19, 2014
Kylee Young was 23 months old when she contracted an E. coli O157:H7 infection from drinking raw milk. The illness hospitalized her for months, caused her to have a stroke and eventually required her to receive a kidney transplanted from her mother.
Kylee’s parents, Jill Brown and Jason Young, are now speaking out to urge other parents not to feed raw milk to their children, as children are especially vulnerable to foodborne pathogens potentially present in unpasteurized milk.
“There might be some benefits of raw milk, but there are huge risks,” said Brown, Kylee’s mother. “There needs to be more public awareness that this is a high-risk food. If I had known what I know now, I would never have fed it to my daughter.”